Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Growing Stevia plants

I'm glad to hear that another fellow Stevia blogger has decided to grow his own sweet leaf. His Stevia Rebaudiana seeds arrived from Germany. It seems that he has already sowed his seeds and I can only wish him luck and a great germination rate.

Fortunately enough, already mentioned(in one of my previous posts) Stevia germination study is here for every future Stevia grower and we can all be thankful to
Goettemoeller, J. and A. Ching for providing us with so much needed information. I advise all wannabe Stevia Rebaudiana gardeners to read this publication carefully. You should take in consideration the effect of light on Stevia seeds germination, i.e. it has been proven that Stevia seeds need light to germinate, so be aware of that while you're sowing your seeds.

Klaus Seistrup, a fellow Stevia blogger, I wish you good luck and a green thumb with your Stevia seeds, hopefully soon to be some gorgeous Stevia plants!

7 comments:

Klaus Seistrup said...

Thanks for your wellwishes. :)

It seems than light affects only black seeds, not the tan ones (I think mine look tan, but we'll see). However, the seed bag did mention than Stevia is a “Lichtkeimer”, so I followed the advice, and I look forward to seeing them germinate and grow.

Have you tried to sweeten your tea or coffee yet?

Cheers.

Italman said...

Hey Klaus,
black or tan seeds, I hope you'll have a good germination rate.
Sweetening my tea with Stevia is great, just a pinch of a leaf in your cup of tea makes all the difference.
Cheers

Jeff Goettemoeller said...

In my experience, tan or light colored seeds simply don't germinate at all, or very seldom. They usually lack a viable embryo. The key is to find good black seeds, and then exposure to light will often boost the germination rate a little. I use an inexpensive fluorescent shop light.

Stevia Finder said...

Just looking around for more information about Stevia plants. Thanks a lot for your contribution here. It is appreciated.

Ken D. Berry said...

Hi,
Great Blog about a very good product.
I thought your readers might like to read what a Family Physician thinks about stevia.
http://country-physician.blogspot.com/2010/11/grab-green-box.html

Faye said...

Good luck to your planting project. May you have a green thumb as well.

camping trailer

Stevia Plants said...

In my side It is important to protect your crop from Septoria disease as it causes tremendous damage to the plant.